Am I required to leave assets to my children equally in my will?
No. In Virginia, you can generally leave your assets to anyone you wish. The only person that you cannot disinherit without restrictions is your surviving spouse.
More Estate Planning FAQs
- Am I required to leave assets to my children equally in my will?
- Can my family contest my will?
- Do I need to change my will if I wish to give certain items to specific friends or family members?
- Everyone tells me that I need revocable living trust. Should I have one?
- How can I avoid estate taxes?
- I had a will prepared in another state. Is it valid in Virginia?
- Should I have a power of attorney?
- Why should I have an attorney prepare my will?
- Will a revocable living trust protect my assets against the cost of nursing home care?