Comprehensive Planning. Lifelong Solutions.

Where should I go to qualify as a personal representative for an estate?

To the clerk’s office of the circuit court of the jurisdiction:

  • 1. where the deceased was last known to reside, if none, then
  • 2. where the deceased owned real estate, if none, then
  • 3. where the deceased died or had any estate

For persons residing in a nursing home/convalescent home, pursuant to 64.1-76 of the1950 Code of Virginia, as amended, the place of legal residence of such person shall be presumed to be the same as it was before such person became a patient. However, that presumption may be rebutted by competent evidence.

More Estate and Trust Administration FAQs

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Free Seminars

Estate & Long Term-Care Planning – Chesapeake – Jan. 28

2020-01-28 at 10:00am
Reserve your Spot
I am beholden to Mr. Hook and the entire staff who advised me during the difficult time following my sisters’ death. The firm was highly recommended and I understand why. Any bewilderment I felt going through the estate process was eased by the compassion and professionalism exercised by this law firm. I am eternally grateful.
Survey comments from M.W. 15434
Start Planning Now
Speak with an attorney today:
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Like us on Facebook