How long does it take after qualification to complete the probate process?
A fiduciary must file an inventory within four months from the qualification date. A first accounting or statement in lieu of the first accounting must be filed within sixteen months from the qualification date. Fiduciaries file these documents with the Commissioner of Accounts office. The fiduciary will get a packet at the time of qualification containing instructions and other necessary forms to be completed to properly administer the estate. Finalization of an estate varies in time depending upon various circumstances.
More Estate and Trust Administration FAQs
- Are holographic wills legal in Virginia?
- How long does it take after qualification to complete the probate process?
- Is an executor or administrator compensated?
- Should a will be kept in a safe deposit box at a bank?
- What are the duties of an executor/administrator?
- What does dying testate or intestate mean?
- What is a self-proving will?
- What is the procedure to probate an estate with a will?
- What should the prospective executor/administrator bring to qualify?
- What taxes and fees are associated with probate?
- When is it necessary to probate an estate?
- Where should I go to qualify as a personal representative for an estate?
- Who inherits the property of an intestate (person dying without a will)?